If you're constantly sleepy but struggling to get the sleep you need at night, your body could be out of nutritional whack. Try one of these five snacks before bedtime to help improve your sleep.
1. Cherries - They contain a decent amount of carbohydrates, about 24 grams per cup. And they're one of the only natural sources of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate your sleep cycle. As an added bonus, each cup is just 100 calories.
2. Almond butter on bread - If you want to keep it simple, you can't go wrong with a slice of whole-grain bread topped with a tablespoon of almond butter. Almonds provide a solid dose of magnesium, which may promote sleep and muscle relaxation. It's quick, easy, and high enough in carbs to get your insulin pumping.
3. Whole-grain crackers - Not only are they high in carbs, but they're also a good source of vitamin-B, which may help prevent insomnia. Top them with one wedge of Swiss cheese, which contains protein and calcium.
4. Greek Yogurt - A frozen dessert can be just what you're craving before bedtime. Each cup has 8 to 10-percent of your daily recommended intake of calcium, which can help regulate melatonin production to get your sleeping habits in check. You'll also get a good dose of tryptophan.
5. Granola in low-fat milk - Get the kind that's 100-percent whole grain. It's high in carbs that will help you score a more regular circadian rhythm. Low-fat milk is also full of tryptophan, which may have a relaxing effect.