Asparagus is so good for you and so is garlic. There are so many healthy micronutrients in both foods. If you want to try our favorite Cool-jams way to prepare fresh asparagus, try this recipe. Even asparagus haters will love this one! Enjoy
1 medium head garlic, unpeeled
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 pounds thick stemmed asparagus
4 slices sourdough bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Coat the head of garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, and roast 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Once the garlic is roasted, cut the head in half horizontally, exposing all the cloves. Squeeze both halves into a bowl, discarding any skin. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- While the garlic is roasting, place the minced shallot in a bowl with the balsamic and red wine vinegars for about 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Whisk in remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place asparagus spears in the mixture until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Place asparagus in a large skillet or directly on the grill. Grill the asparagus, turning over once, until tender, about 10 minutes. While asparagus is grilling, spread the roasted garlic mixture on the bread. Grill bread until toasted. Arrange the bread and asparagus on a plate, and drizzle with the remaining shallot and vinegar mixture.