This is a delicious low carb meal or appetizer. Large portobello mushrooms are stuffed with a savory combination of pepperoni, spinach, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. I love these for lunch or light dinner!
4 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
1 tablespoon reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
1 egg 1 clove garlic, minced
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 cup chopped pepperoni 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Brush both sides of each portobello mushroom cap with Italian dressing. Arrange mushroom on a baking sheet, gill sides up.
3. Bake mushrooms in the preheated oven until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain any juice that has formed in the mushrooms.
4. Beat egg, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl.
5. Stir spinach, pepperoni, Parmesan cheese, 3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, and 3 tablespoons bread crumbs into the eggs until evenly mixed.
6. Divide spinach mixture over mushroom caps; sprinkle mushrooms with remaining 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon bread crumbs. Return mushrooms to the oven.
7. Continue baking until topping is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more.